The HitchHiking

 

“Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.” ~ Douglas Adams

One of the more tiring aspects of hitchhiking is the need to be sociable and make conversation with whoever is driving you. It would be considered poor form to accept a ride, hop into the passenger seat, and then simply crash out until you reached your destination. How I longed to do just that, but instead I chatted merrily away, energy ebbing from me with each sentence, until Rakesh dropped me at the address of the lady who had offered me free Blenders Pride. One of the more tiring aspects of accepting an offer of free accommodation is the need to be sociable and make conversation with whoever had offered it to you. It would be considered poor form to turn up, dumb your bags, crawl into your bedroom and order an early morning alarm call. How I longed to do just that, but instead I chatted merrily away to Geeta, energy ebbing from me with each sentence until the tea was drunk, the cake was eaten and I finally plucked up the courage to mention just how exhausted I was. I apologized and said that I simply had to grab a couple of hours' sleep, and Geeta understandingly showed me to my room.

Comments